Democracy is not just voting. It’s acting on the informed general will of the people. Democracy R&D is a collection of organizations around the world working to find out how we can do democracy better.
We work independently but agree to this common set of principles:
- We use sortition (randomly selected juries), to assemble representative groups of people rather than just the active participation elites.
- We use deliberation, giving people time and information to ensure we run the exact opposite of an opinion poll.
- We use rotation, because representation and decision making for the public should not only be a professional role for the elite.
- We run practical trials and real projects – we learn by doing and continually testing.
- We are non-partisan and express no position on any policy outside of the need for democratic innovation.